Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ikea DIODER drawer light!

All those who knows me would know that I really like lights and batteries. While I was browsing IKEA's furniture online, I chanced upon a little LED strip light called the "DIODER LED battery-operated lamp f/drawer". The reason for quoting the full name is because there are many other LED strips in the DIODER range of lights.

picture from ikea website


There is very little information about the product on the website

1) Designed for a drawer
2) Has a motion sensor (sleek sia!)
3) Turns on for 15sec when there is ambient light (open drawer) and 5sec when totally dark (closed drawer)
4) Takes 6 AAA batteries (Wah lao eh, so many!)




 




*picture belongs to IKEA

When I came home with the product, it struck me that I never really need to light up my drawer. I couldn't remember when was the last time I had to grab something from my drawer when my room is completely dark.Other than that, I have to say that the design is really well thought out for a drawer light; the placement and the range of the sensor is perfect for a drawer. The light is directed at an angle so it lights up most parts of the drawer.

 

6 LEDs spread along the entire strip. Very clean and neat layout. No switches, just motion sensor.

Tada! And behold, there is light!

The whole package is very light. It comes with screws for a permanent fixture but a simple double-sided tape should suffice. The sensor is on the "negative" side of the battery compartment and is facing in the opposite direction of the LEDs, which is perfect for using it in a drawer. The light has a warm colour temperature which resembles the lovely incandescent lamp but without the low efficiency. I found that it uses a negligible  0.2mA on stand-by (to power the motion sensor) and 87mA when lighted. The current draw is quite acceptable for AAA sized batteries. A typical AAA alkaline has a 900mAh, which means it should last 10hours of constant usage. Now, assuming that I activate it 10 times a day, one set of batteries should last me 8months. The designer probably thought of this so that you don't have to change batteries too often and waste money on batteries. Battery powered LED lighting is always centred around efficiency and this is no exception.



The backside of the strip. Again, a clean flat surface that is suitable for double-sided taping. I chose to stick 3M's velcro tape for easy removal so that it is a lot easier to change the batteries next time.


 Here's an option for those who like to put their face near to the printer to see a nice printout being born.



Coolest printer ever!
 Here's with the battery tube removed. I'll recommend that you buy the 10pack IKEA AAA batteries since it sells for SG$2.50
A close up on the cheery yellow batteries that IKEA sells. 

 Instead of using this in a drawer, which is pretty useless for me, I chose to put it in my wardrobe.

 Really sleek lighting without the need for wires. Excellent stand-alone light.

 Here's from another view. An LED strip works very well for lighting up wardrobes with lots of obstructions as it does not form harsh shadows that a single LED light source would.

It works nicely for times when I just need to get a piece of clothing from my room without switching on my main room lights. Even in a rather dark room, it still lights up for 15sec. It would be nicer if it lights up for a longer period though. Maybe 30sec or 1min will be great.


It is not much but it does light up well enough for me. Being a warm coloured light, the colour rendition is pretty good. Great for picking out clothing. The DIODER is activated from sliding the wardrobe door past it. The sensor range has a maximum of 10cm. However, if placed too close to the sliding door, the light reactivates after lighting up. Check before securing it permanently!

Another view with the wardrobe door closed. It makes for a good night light. However, 15sec is only good enough for me to put down my glasses and head straight to bed. It would perfect if it could be adjusted to light up a for 30sec instead of the short 15sec.

UPDATE:

Problem regarding continuous re-activation:
1)My first set of batteries died after just 1.5months of use! But that is because there were a few times when I took it out to play and stuck it back in my wardrobe without noticing that it was continuously re-activating itself. Always check if distance of the door from the sensor is causing the light to re-activate. Check during daytime and nighttime as it seems that having ambient light may affect the distances where it re-activates continuously.

Signs of battery weakening:
2) One thing I noticed when the batteries were nearing the end of its life was the increasing likelihood of missed activation. I.e. the sensor misses detection when I open the wardrobe door too fast. After changing the batteries, it activates no matter how fast I open the door. You can take that as a cue to re-charge your batteries if you are using rechargables!

Termination voltage is suitable for recharables:
3) The 3rd thing and probably most important thing I noticed was that the dead 6x alkaline batteries was at 6.50V. This translate to 1.08V per cell. That means that you are unlikely to over drain and damage your expensive NiMh cells in the event of continuous re-activation. Not sure if it is purposely designed this way, but this is very thoughtful!

LEDs seem regulated:
4) Unlike cheap lighting products that will dim as the batteries go weaker, I did not notice a change in brightness even during the last days of my batteries.

In all, I am quite impressed by how much thought has been put into this product(whether knowingly or unknowingly). Now I dare to use rechargables for this product. It is not only elegant not only in looks but also its electronics. It is rather high in price, $29.90 for a 6 LED strip light, compared to the DIY option. However, it looks a lot sleeker and a lot smarter.


7 comments:

J Schorzman said...

Very helpful thanks!

Unknown said...

That was extremely helpful post. I will be buying one based on your review. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review, looking for inexpensive but effective way to light wine cabinet.

Ricky Lee said...

Cool. Have you any ideas about running this on 12V? In my shed, I have 12V batteries (with solar panel/reg). I know I could use a 7809 voltage reg but just wondering if there is a easier way!

Leonard said...

Hi Ricky, I've not tested the upper tolerance voltage of the dioder. If you are daring (and do not mind the risk of frying your dioder), you can try hooking the 12v it up directly. Do let me know if it works!

Tek said...

FYI, when the drawer is closed and light is OFF, the measured quiescent current drawn by this light is 0.25 mA, which is A LOT!!! It will deplete a set of new alkaline AAA batteries in approximately 160 days, even if the light were never used. When light goes ON, it takes 100 mA current.

copinlighting said...

Thanks for your efforts in sharing this post with us. This was really awesome. keep up it! 12v led strip lights